Relocating for a Job With Your Child

Moving With A Child

If you are thinking about relocating for a job, you probably have a lot to get done. And if you have children, you can add a few more tasks to your plate. Relocating with children requires extra considerations. You may not be able to relocate with your child unless the other parent agrees. Whether you share custody or not, you risk violating the other parent’s rights when you relocate with your child out of state. Even if the move is for a new job, which can improve you and your child’s life overall, you may face some barriers in the process.

When considering a relocation for a new job, you have to think about how it will affect your child and the other parent, and the legal implications of such a move. If the other parent has custody or parenting time rights, you cannot move out of the state with your child without permission. A relocation can significantly impact how and when your child can spend time with the other parent. If the other parent will not give you permission, you can petition the court, but the judge can still deny your petition.

Steps to Relocation

If you want to relocate for a new job, you should speak with an experienced New Jersey child custody attorney. You have relatively few options when it comes to relocating for a job with your child, and an attorney can advise you of those options. You will have to get the non-custodial parent to agree to the relocation, or you will need to get a court order. If you are petitioning the court, you will have to show that there is a good faith reason for the relocation. This means you need to show that the move will benefit you and your child in some way. Moving for a job is typically a good faith reason. A new job could mean more stability, a higher income, or better benefits. You will also need to propose a reasonable parenting plan that provides appropriate parenting time for the other parent. You will need the help of an attorney to have the best chance at getting permission to relocate with your child.

 Do you have questions about relocation? Williams Law Group, LLC can advise you on your parental rights and help you take the steps needed to relocate with your child. Located in Union, New Jersey, Williams Law Group, LLC provides compassionate and dedicated legal services to Union, Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Monmouth, and Middlesex counties, and the surrounding areas. Our knowledgeable attorneys handle divorce and family law, child custody, and child abuse/neglect cases. Call our office at (908) 810-1083, email us at, or contact us through our confidential online form to schedule a consultation and ultimately get connected with an experienced New Jersey divorce and child custody attorney.


Let us know how we can help
Contact Our New Jersey Family Lawyers Today