How to Change Your Name After A Divorce

How to Change Your Name After A DivorceIt’s common for women to take their husband’s name after they get married. Some women make the change simply to honor tradition, whereas others do it so they feel more united with their new spouse. But, many women who chose to change their name may regret this decision if the marriage ends in divorce. Here’s how to change your name after a divorce:

During the Divorce Proceedings

It’s best to start the process of changing your nameduring the divorce proceedings. Ask your attorney to include a name change request in the Complaint for Divorce or Answer for Divorce paperwork. If you fail to include this request in these documents, you can still ask the court for a name change later on in the proceedings. The court that handles your divorce can issue an order to change your name as part of the final judgment of divorce. Basically, this means your name will be legally changed once the divorce has been finalized.

It is extremely rare for the court to reject a name change request, but it does happen from time-to-time. For example, if someone is changing her name to avoid creditors, the court may deny her request to change her name.

After the Divorce Proceedings

Some women don’t decide to change their name until after the divorce has been finalized. Fortunately, it is possible to change your name through the family court system even if the divorce case has been closed. To initiate this process, ask your attorney to file a post-judgment motion with the court requesting a name change. The court will then review your request and issue an order to legally change your name.

Requesting a name change through the family court system is much easier and less expensive than doing so in civil court. Therefore, it’s important for divorcees to know about this option so they do not waste their time and money in civil court. However, it’s also important to note that the process of changing a child’s name after divorce is far more complicated. In this case, the name change request cannot be made as part of a divorce settlement or through a post-judgment motion in family court.

Are you ready to move onto the next chapter in your life? If so, contact Williams Law Group, LLC right away. Our experienced attorneys will work tirelessly to reach a favorable divorce settlement so you can start over. Call our office at (908) 810-1083, email us at, or contact us through our confidential online form to schedule a consultation.

Let us know how we can help
Contact Our New Jersey Family Lawyers Today