Enforcing Child Support Orders in Another State

Enforcing Child Support Orders in Another StateAccording to the U.S. Census Bureau, over $13.5 billion of child support owed to custodial parents was not paid in 2015. Some non-custodial parents go to great lengths to avoid making child support payments, including moving to another state. Although a non-custodial parent may leave the state, his obligation to comply with the child support order will remain with him at all times. Here’s what you should know about enforcing child support orders in another state:

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA)

In 1998, the state of New Jersey chose to adopt the federal Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), which applies to situations where the two parties of a child support order do not live in the same state.

If the non-custodial parent moves to a different state and fails to make child support payments, the child support enforcement agency can send a UIFSA request to the state where the non-custodial parent lives. Under UIFSA, employers are required to garnish an employee’s wages if he has failed to comply with an out-of-state child custody order. Once the request has been registered in non-custodial parent’s state of residence, the custodial parent will receive a portion of his wages until he has paid his debt.

UIFSA also applies in cases where the custodial parent moves away from the non-custodial parent and settles in New Jersey. In these cases, the custodial parent must work the child support enforcement agency to secure the money she is owed. New Jersey’s child support enforcement agency will reach out to the court in the state where the non-custodial parent lives and ask them to issue an enforcement order.

Basically, the UIFSA ensures that non-custodial parents cannot hide from their obligation to pay child support.

The Importance of Hiring An Attorney

Enforcing a child support order is hard enough on its own, but it becomes even more complicated when it involves a parent that has moved out of the state. Because these cases are so complex, it is in your best interest to hire a family law attorney who is familiar with UIFSA and has extensive experience helping parents in this situation.

Are you not getting the child support you are owed? If so, contact Williams Law Group, LLC right away. It doesn’t matter where your ex-spouse lives—our experienced attorneys will work tirelessly to enforce the child support order. Call our office at (908) 810-1083, email us at info@awilliamslawgroup.com, or contact us through our confidential online form to schedule a consultation.

Let us know how we can help
Contact Our New Jersey Family Lawyers Today