Maplewood Relocation Lawyer

There are different reasons why you might choose to relocate where you live with your child. For married couples, choosing whether to change your address could be an easy one, but if you share custody with an ex-spouse, relocation could be a contentious issue.

If you are dealing with the possibility of changing your residence with a minor, our child custody attorneys could help. In many cases, relocating requires New Jersey court approval. One of our Maplewood relocation lawyers could help you fight for your child’s best interests during a dispute like this.

Moving Out of State

If someone plans to relocate, moving out of New Jersey is often far more contentious than an in-state move. The difficulty of this issue depends on the custody arrangement. If the parents share custody, an out-of-state move could require a court order to modify the predetermined agreement. A trusted attorney in Maplewood could assist with the process of changing residences with a child.

Relocating with Shared Custody

If both parents share some degree of custody over their child, one parent cannot relocate the child on a whim. Instead, each parent has equal rights to enforce the existing terms of the parenting agreement.

The simplest way to address potential change of residence is for one parent to seek the consent of another. If both parents accept relocation, the court could amend the parenting agreement accordingly.

If one parent does not consent to the move, the process could require litigation. If a parent seeks to relocate, they must make their case to the judge. The court may only allow relocation in situations where it is in the best interest of the child to do so. Whether or not the move is in the best interests of the child depends on if the court believes it will emotionally harm them or negatively change their quality of life.

Relocating from Maplewood with Primary Custody

If a parent has primary custody of their child, they have more leeway to move out of state, but that does not mean the other parent is without legal rights entirely. A parent with primary custody must show the court that they have a good faith reason to seek moving. Additionally, they must establish that relocating is in the best interests of the child.

Changing Address In-State

Changing residence while staying in New Jersey is not as contentious as moving a child to another state. In general, the courts allow a parent with custody of a minor to move anywhere within the boundaries of the state without the need for prior court approval. That said, the court has the power to prevent such a move if they find it is in the best interest of the child to do so.

In-state relocations can have an impact on custody and visitation agreements. By changing addresses, there are a number of issues that may need to be adjusted by the court. This could include an update to the parenting plan to ensure that the in-state move has not impeded the rights of the non-custodial parent. A Maplewood attorney could assist with this aspect of the relocation process.

Contact a Maplewood Relocation Attorney Today

If you share custody of a child with someone else, the court must take every party’s interests into account if someone plans on moving. Ultimately, the child’s best interests will guide whether relocating is a viable option.

If you are involved in a relocation dispute, the guidance of an attorney could help. Let a Maplewood relocation lawyer advise you on your legal options today. Call our office to learn more.

Let us know how we can help
Contact Our New Jersey Family Lawyers Today