Visitation Exclusions: Protecting Your Child During Visitation

Making Sure Your Child Is in Safe Hands

It is hard to know for sure how your child is treated when with the non-custodial parent. If the non-custodial parent has parenting time (i.e. visitation), he or she has a right to visit with your child for an appropriate amount of time. But custodial parents have rights, too. You have the right to know your child is in safe hands at all times. You also have the right to know the non-custodial parent won’t expose your child to people who may not have his or her best interests in mind. Exercising these rights can be difficult, however, especially if the non-custodial parent doesn’t cooperate.

Seeking Modifications

If you have reason to believe the non-custodial parent is letting people who may be of harm to your child be present during visitation, you can take action. You can ask the court to prohibit people who have child abuse or sexual assault convictions, are on the child abuse registry, have substance abuse issues, are violent or otherwise harmful to your child from being present during visitations. You can seek to modify the visitation arrangements by going to court. Bear in mind that you will need to demonstrate that there has been a significant change in circumstances that warrant a modification. The introduction of a negligent or unsafe person in your child’s life may warrant a modification, but you should speak with an attorney about how you can demonstrate that to the court.

Asking for Supervision

You can also ask for the visitation to be supervised. Supervised visitations can be held at designated facilities. Trained observers will be present to ensure the interactions between your child and the non-custodial parent are beneficial and that your child is not put in harm’s way. Supervised visitation is typically ordered for only a period of time, after which the visitation may continue unsupervised.

If you need to modify your parenting plan and visitation schedule in court, consult with an experienced New Jersey child custody attorney about the process. As the parent seeking the modification, you must demonstrate why your request is reasonable and in your child’s best interests. An attorney can explain your options to you and help you take the steps needed to modify your parenting plan.

Are you concerned about your child’s safety during parenting time? If so, Williams Law Group, LLC is here to help you. We can help you do what it takes to protect your child at all times. Located in Union, New Jersey, Williams Law Group, LLC provides compassionate and dedicated legal services to Union, Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Monmouth, and Middlesex counties, and the surrounding areas. Our knowledgeable attorneys handle divorce and family law, child custody, and child abuse/neglect cases. Call our office at (908) 810-1083, email us at, or contact us through our confidential online form to schedule a consultation and ultimately get you connected with an experienced New Jersey divorce and child custody attorney.

Let us know how we can help
Contact Our New Jersey Family Lawyers Today